Libertarian Chat

Ideas for upgrading or improving the LPF's governing documents!

Discussion started on Rules Committee

Post them here!
#1 - November 18, 2018, 08:56:25 PM

Formal proposal will be coming later (have bigger fish to fry right now) but I have some recommendations for improving LPF Constitution Article III Section 4 regarding filling Executive Committee vacancies:

1) allow the Chair to do interim appointments by email without meeting, we only need a special meeting if the Chair is the vacancy.
2.) rework the confirmation election to be ranked choice or some other voting method that doesn't bias the outcome in favor of the chair's interim appointee.
3.) clarify that the election is at the next regular meeting after the vacancy, not the next after the interim appointment.
4.) provide for election for full delegation at the next convention for two-year terms that become vacant in the first year.
#2 - Today at 12:09:24 PM

I propose repealing the LPF Constitution Article III Section 4 Subsection F in its entirety.

These are provisions that don't need to be the Constitution since they regard establishing committees that have already been established in the Bylaws. The policy on committee electronic meetings, if necessary at all, can go in the Standing Rules.
#3 - Today at 12:12:04 PM

I propose amending LPF Constitution Article III Section 4 to remove the statement that "Regional Representatives shall be elected at the Annual Business Meeting and shall serve for a period of one (1) year. " since this contradicts the following statement that they serve until the close of the next annual business meeting. Instead, the section should state that Region Representatives are elected at every Annual Business Meeting, and then this will work properly with the following clause about serving until the next of the next one.
#4 - Today at 12:16:16 PM

I recommend repealing LPF Constitution Section 6 Subsection D, E, and F and replacing with a new section that requires the EC to publish timely notice of meeting location, purpose, and call-in info on its public and functional website, as well as minutes, changes to the Executive Committee composition, and up-to-date governing documents on the public and functional website.

I also recommend adding "Bylaws" to Subsection B.
#5 - Today at 12:21:59 PM

I recommend amending LPF Constitution Article VIII Subsection B to replace the clause "Upon establishment of affiliates in each county of Florida" with "When at least 15 county affiliates are active" or some similar language.

The current clause is pretty much useless for purpose since even missing one affiliate out of 67 makes it impossible to execute. A minimum number of affiliates in the 15-20 range does allow safeguards for not changing the Constitution willy nilly while still making it actually possible to do.

It may also be wise to state how a county affiliate can ratify a constitutional amendment.
#6 - Today at 12:27:12 PM