Libertarian Chat

Platform Committee Report - January 2020

Discussion started on Platform Committee

This should be my final update as the chair of the Platform Committee.

After six months of work, the expanded platform document is completed. This month was spent three nights a week with 2 hour meetings voting on the final planks of the expanded platform we've written over the past several months. In addition to the expanded platform document, we have a few changes to the existing platform planks that we will be bringing to convention. I also submitted my resignation and request that Ricardo Mejias is made the incoming Chair. The current breakdown of the new expanded platform is such that he has authored 76% of the document. There is absolutely no one more qualified than him to be the new chair.

Currently we are in the final editing process to bring the document in-line with the Communications Committee's requirements for LPF documents and will post the final document to be presented to the public by the 21st (30 days before convention).

I also sent a recommendation to the EC and Rules requesting a change in Bylaws at convention regarding the Platform Committee's obligations, as there is nothing specific requiring Platform to have the entire document submitted beforehand.

Currently within the Bylaws it is written:
Article III, Section 3: “The Platform Committee shall present a combined document of proposed changes and additions to the Party Platform at the Annual Business Meeting. It shall perform its duties to present a document as outlined in Article V.”

Article V, Section 1: “Adoption of the Bylaws will be consistent with the adoption of the Constitution.”

And in the standing rules it is written:
Article X, Section 2: “Any members may request the Executive Committee to include on the agenda any item. Such request shall be in writing to the Chairperson thirty (30) days prior to the convention, or within seven (7) days following the announced date and place of the convention, whichever is closest to the convention date.”

My suggestion for my request at convention is to strike the sentence from Article III, Section 3 stating, “It [Platform Committee] shall perform its duties to present a document as outlined in Article V,” and replace it with language such as, “The committee shall deliver its proposed changes to the Platform to the Executive Committee within 30 days of the convention, or within seven (7) days following the announced date and place of the convention, whichever is closest to the convention date.” I think this would help clear up some common ambiguity both me and the incoming chair were dealing with regarding the platform.

Thank you again for letting me serve this awesome committee in 2019.
#1 - January 19, 2020, 04:39:18 PM
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 04:44:06 PM by Cody »