Libertarian Chat

MARCH 2019 REPORT Region 12 LPF EC

Discussion started on Region 12

2019 03 10 Report from Region 12 to LPF EC
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

For the meeting scheduled for March 17, 2019 

CHARLOTTE COUNTY: EC: Chair: tba; Vice: tba; Secretary: tba; Treasurer: tba;

I am scheduled to meet March 14 with an elected Libertarian (David DeForest, CC Soil) at a meeting organized by Michelle Rhea and Barry Chapman of the Sarasota County affiliate. David has expressed substantial interest in reviving the CC affiliate.

LEE COUNTY: EC: Chair: Rick Molek; Vice: Larry Gillis; Secretary: Ben Bachrach; Treasurer:  Charlene Couillard; At Large: Alex Pilkington. 

An informal get-together of the EC was held February 19 in Fort Myers. The “Level-Up” fundraising initiative has been highlighted by Ben Bachrach in the LPLC website and in a broadcast email. At last count, we have ponied up $505 (so far). The March meeting will be held on the 19th.

COLLIER COUNTY: EC: Chair: Rob Tolp; Vice: Peter Richter; Secretary: Jamie Cain; Treasurer: Scott Jaeger

I have been invited by Rob Tolp to be in attendance at the next EC meeting. He has agreed to broadcast-email notice of the “Level-Up” fundraising initiative to his membership (He already has it on the Collier LP website)

MEDIA COVERAGE:   After Robert Kraft’s arrest, I submitted a letter to the Fort Myers News-Press, noting that the LPF platform acknowledges the natural rights of sex workers. It has not been published (yet, eight days later).

NEW MEMBERS:

I should mention here the Eagles For Liberty, a student group at Florida Gulf Coast University (located in Fort Myers, virtually in Naples). They are an active group, deserving special recognition (maybe at our Convention?). There are other such groups on other campuses, I am sure, but I suffer from the “tunnel vision” typical of Regional Representatives. In other words, if your student group is not in Region 12, you do not exist IMHO. See: https://getinvolved.fgcu.edu/organization/EaglesforLiberty

CANDIDATES: I understand there is a Libertarian from Cape Coral who will be a candidate for local office. I will publish his name shortly, after I talk to him.

DEVELOPING ISSUES SPOTTED:

LICENSES. Our State Platform should be amended to call for the recognition of out-of-State licenses for the practice of any profession or trade, and for any other licenses. Given our platform on licensing, this is an in-the-meantime proposition. See WSJ editorial (02-19-2019): https://www.wsj.com/articles/an-arizona-occupational-welcome-11550528070

TAX CREDITS. “Florida Politics” noted that SB 526 would give simplified tax credits for TV and movies filmed in Florida. Quoting our LPF Platform, and identifying myself as a member of the LPF EC, I posted an objection and notified our LAC. https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail/detail&folder=default0/INBOX&id=1951303

FL ELECTION COMMISSION. Openings are coming up on the FEC. I have e-mailed our Governor to suggest a Libertarian be appointed. If you are interested, make the application now through the Governor’s Office. FYI, I have applied for appointment to the FL Ethics Commission. (I don’t plan to hold my breath). See:  https://www.flgov.com/gubernatorial-appointment

OTHER:
     None
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Yours in Liberty,

Larry Gillis, Cape Coral                                          March 10, 2019

Region12@lpf.org  and LaurenceJGillis@gmail.com   (Please use both)
Tel: 239-471-7173 (landline) or 305-563-9083 (Google Voice, messages)

The Libertarian Party of Florida reserves all rights and access to this email account, region12@lpf.org . Any correspondence, files, and other information contained are the sole property of the Libertarian Party of Florida. Any and all use of this property is at the complete discretion of the Libertarian Party of Florida, its officers, and its agents.
……………………………………….

#1 - March 10, 2019, 06:33:56 PM

Great report Mr Gillis and thank you for mentioning the LP platform.

It needs to be quoted more.
#2 - March 17, 2019, 05:43:23 PM
Current Audit Committee Chair
Former State House candidate
Former Vice Chair Broward LP
Former LPF At Large
Former LPF Vice Chair