Libertarian Chat

REGION 12 REPORT FOR MEETING OF FEBRUARY 17 2018

Discussion started on Region 12

LPF EC Region 12 Report  (ALSO ATTACHED AS DOCUMENT)
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

For the meeting scheduled for February 17, 2019 

CHARLOTTE COUNTY: EC: Chair: tba; Vice: tba; Secretary: tba; Treasurer: tba;
This is a work-in-progress, to say the least, and I apologize for a slow start. At Suzanne Gilmore’s suggestion, I am currently reviewing the FEC record of donors from Charlotte County to see if some of them could form the “cadre” for a revived LPCC.  If that list does not yield enough “probables”, then I will ask the Charlotte SOE for a list of our registered LPF voters and go from there.  (That won’t be a particularly elegant way of doing things, but there it is).

LEE COUNTY: EC: Chair: Rick Molek; Vice: Larry Gillis; Secretary: Ben Bachrach; Treasurer:  Charlene Couillard; At Large: Alex Pilkington. 

An informal get-together of the EC is scheduled for February 19 at Shoeless Joe’s at the Bell Tower in Fort Myers. The public is (as always) invited.  Alex Pilkington has been added to the LPLC EC as our Member-at-Large. FYI, he is a ten-week intern at Cato Institute.

COLLIER COUNTY: EC: Chair: Rob Tolp; Vice: Peter Richter; Secretary: Jamie Cain; Treasurer: Scott Jaeger

I will attend the next regular meeting of their EC. Their website is quite active, with useful hyperlinks.

MEDIA COVERAGE:   I have posted several times this month to “Florida Politics”, identifying myself  as a member of the LPF EC, most recently on the Governor’s request for a special Grand Jury on school shootings. Local “Libertarian” mentions: My letter to the editor of the (Fort Myers) News-Press was printed, objecting to the sua sponte extension of some Cape Coral City Council terms-of-office, without an intervening election, (a/k/a  self-perpetuating government). FYI, my Op-Ed proposal to them on “PALINDROME POLITICS: Either Way, You Lose” remains unacknowledged and unprinted.

NEW MEMBERS: Alex Pilkington (see Lee County, above)

DEVELOPING ISSUES SPOTTED:

(1) The Cape Coral City Council has self-extended the terms of office of some incumbent members without an election. This is apparently legal. Is this a phenomenon elsewhere in Florida, something to which we can loudly object? 
(2) Are we interested in sharing our thoughts on a “jungle primary”? See: http://floridapolitics.com/archives/286649-primary-system-kevin-rader#comment-74551
(3) The Florida Supreme Court is now interested in raising the maximum jurisdictional amount for small claims to $8,000, which would further adversely affect access to civil jury trials. https://www.floridabar.org/the-florida-bar-news/supreme-court-endorses-higher-civil-small-claims-jurisdiction-for-county-courts . Our LPF platform says (at Part III, Section 5): “The right of trial by jury should be allowed in all civil or criminal cases where the value exceeds one oz of gold”, currently approximately $1300 per ounce:  https://goldprice.org/gold-price.html

OTHER:

01   I have submitted to the Platform Committee three motions for them to consider recommending to the Convention: (a) (LPF Constitution) asking that we favor a presumption against State Action of any sort, unless good cause is shown; (b) (LPF Platform) asking that we favor all instruction in government schools be taught using the Socratic Method; (c) (LPF Platform) asking that we favor a ban on any administrative regs authorizing criminal sanctions.

02   I suggested the names of several Libertarians to Peter Schorsch of “Florida Politics”, so he could include us in his “Influencers” panel. My name was not on my list, but he appointed me anyway.  The first poll of the panel, consisting of several questions -- was published last week. See: http://floridapolitics.com . I suggest that EC members put themselves on the FP “feed”, so we can comment on articles as they are published. (Your comments WILL get published, on submission). I dunno how big their actual readership is, but several volunteers on the FP “Influencers” panel have some measurable gravitas and that’s gotta count for something.

03   I am now attending the Cape Coral Citizens Academy, a fifty-hour program (spread over 12 weeks), one that gives a detailed instruction-and-documentation on the mechanics of local government. I urge you to make your own inquiry at your own local and county level, because taking these courses is a great way to identify marketable Libertarian issues (In other words, these courses constitute a “target-rich environment”, so to speak).  See Cape Coral’s description of their academy at: http://www.capecoral.net/government/city_government/city_manager/citizen_s_academy.php

04   Ben Bachrach and I attended a Cato Institute “Policy Perspectives” event on February 4th at the Ritz in Naples (“Where else?”, you might reasonably ask). It was quite informative.

05   Happy Valentine's Day.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Yours in Liberty,

Larry Gillis, Cape Coral                                          February 13, 2019

Region12@lpf.org  and LaurenceJGillis@gmail.com   (Please use both)
Tel: 239-471-7173 (landline) or 305-563-9083 (Google Voice, messages)

The Libertarian Party of Florida reserves all rights and access to this email account, region12@lpf.org . Any correspondence, files, and other information contained are the sole property of the Libertarian Party of Florida. Any and all use of this property is at the complete discretion of the Libertarian Party of Florida, its officers, and its agents.
……………………………………….
#1 - February 13, 2019, 09:01:17 PM

Now this is a Region Rep report.
#2 - February 13, 2019, 10:20:32 PM

Yes, this is outstanding.
#3 - February 17, 2019, 04:43:58 PM
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 06:58:39 PM by Omar_R »
Former State House candidate
Former LPF At Large
Former LPF committee Chair
Former Vice Chair Broward LP

Larry, this is fantastic.

As for self-extending terms, yes we've seen this elsewhere in Central FL. Unfortunately the general public tends to be surprisingly apathetic about anything below the federal level. But it's definitely something we should call out and oppose.

Regarding small claims - the state looks for any excuse it can to reduce jury trials (in no small part because they're slow and thus expensive, and the benefit only accrues to actual citizens at the expense of prosecutors' win rates). One ounce of gold is a pretty arbitrary standard, but one that isn't negatively affected by inflation at least. I'd support that.

I'm probably in the minority that I'm not fundamentally against jungle primaries, although I don't particularly support them either. So long as the ballots remains partisan and the state controls the primary process it puts us at a huge disadvantage (although some would so nonpartisan ballots mean we don't get our branding out as effectively).
#4 - February 17, 2019, 05:42:30 PM

Thanks for the compliments. (Never underestimate the power of an old man's vanity: I do very much appreciate your compliments)
#5 - February 17, 2019, 08:19:44 PM